Some mornings, I swear it can take me up to an hour to really get down to work. Of course, reading fashion and style blogs IS my work, but still. It’s easy to get caught up in the images and links, and the time flies.
Recently, I’ve developed a routine for checking my favorite blogsand, because I’m a creature of habit, even the order in which I check them. First, because I try to keep up on world affairs (and because, living in DC, it’s super-embarrassing if you don’t), I check my favorite news site. Next is a quick look at a fashion and style news round-up, HuffPost Style. Sometimes there are things there that interest me and sometimes there isn’t.
If it appears there are some new Michelle Obama outfits in the news, I usually head over to Mrs. O to get a little more info about her clothes. (Not a Democrat? Doesn’t matter!!! If you’re a woman in this country today and want to keep your look current, you need to pay attention to her — as many have argued, her personal style has been and will continue to be extremely influential.)
Then the fun begins. Now, I don’t love everything about the blogs in the round-up that follows, but I do find them worth keeping tabs on regularly. (And that’s even though I am a good bit older than some of the bloggers, so I encourage readers and clients to have the perspective I do: learn from what appeals to you and ignore what doesn’t interest you!)
First up: What I Wore — what appears to be an extremely successful personal style blog. This blogger isn’t real detailed about what she wears, or about anything, but she’s cute and fairly consistently has an interesting twist in her styling.
Next is Kendi Everyday, which I have not been following as long, but I like the blogger’s style, her ability to spell and punctuate correctly (which is, sadly, not a universal quality in the style blogosphere) and sense of irreverence.
The rest, in no particular order. (Sometimes I forget to check one of them or another, but each of these, I feel, has taught me quite a bit about personal style.)
- Jen Loves Kev — cute, with a cute blogger, but I find myself tuning out when she talks about her cute baby. (And the baby IS cute.) But I have been there and done that, and it doesn’t teach me about personal styling. Also, I have a personal thing about headbands on babies — what can I say?
- Already Pretty — I love this blog for a bunch of reasons. One — and it is not a small thing — is that the person behind the blog, Sally McGraw, is an actual nice person who answers her emails. Thanks, Sally! I also love her feminist, body-friendly perspective. Also, she is super-productive and so there is always new content on her blog. Check it out!
- Fashion for Nerds — another blog I love. This woman, Audi, is a true master of layering and pattern/color mixing. You don’t have to wear a harness to work every so often, like she does, but you can learn a heck of a lot from her.
- B. Jones Style — someone else with style I wouldn’t wear myself, but so what? I am inspired by her. She’s apparently a stylist in SoCal and incredibly creative. (Also, when I grow up I want to have her office.) She finds an inspiration and then goes from there.
- Style Underdog — I love this blog because her life is like mine, and she always looks really great. Here’s one of the things she says: “I wish I could wear that … but I can’t shop all day, I have to drive carpool.”
- Atlantis Home — this woman has a life that is nothing like mine, but she is about the same age, and has an amazing, amazing sense of style. I love it all.
- Stylish White Female. Great style! (See the first picture. Need I say more?!)
- Cupcakes and Cashmere. Great style, great legs, great pictures.
Of course, some days I check other things, some days I may have to go without entirely. But these are the blogs I try not to miss.
What are your favorite blogs? What should I add to my daily browsing?