One of the most popular things I do with clients is to make what’s “old” new again.
Here are some of the ways I remixed one client’s pieces during a recent appointment and some rules for why this particular session was so successful:
1. She’s always willing to refresh. This client understands that each season brings new trends and new ways of styling her clothes. She looks for that little fresh infusion to bring her style into the present.
2. She knows her best colors. When you know and stick to your best colors (not necessarily ALL the time, but most of the time), its incredibly just how many things go with each other. Within a single color palette, most colors look great together. This takes a lot of the guesswork out of the color pairings.
3. She’s open to new ideas. It’s easy for all of us (myself included!) to get a little stuck in our familiar patterns. (For instance, wearing certain pants with certain shoes.) What keeps us looking exciting (and feeling excited) is trying something new. You may not end up liking it — and that’s fine — but it’s always good to experiment.
4. She knows what works on her body. After working together, she knows what looks great on her. She doesn’t get distracted by shapes and colors that won’t flatter her. This goes a long way toward eliminating costly mistakes.
Two and a half hours fly by. When I leave, this client has:
- a newly edited shoe collection
- suggestions for a handful of new purchases
- A couple of bags of things to donate to charity, and
- a few dozen new outfits using mostly what she already owned.
(Ketura Persellin is an image and wardrobe consultant in Washington, DC. She helps her clients find their confidence, one outfit at a time. Please contact her for a complimentary strategy session.)